Thursday, August 25, 2011

Review #10: Umemura

Hey, it's Stephen! I haven't been posting for a while. I've been procrastinating, going on vacation, going to summer school, and doing what people do in the summer. Anyways, since I got back from Australia (I'll fill you in later), I've been craving Asian food. So, when my Japanese friend, Huss on FIC, came over, we went to go eat Umemura ramen. This place is not your run-of-the-mill ramen joint. They actually make their own ramen from scratch, so it qualifies as HOMEMADE. Don't bother with the soft, chewy ramen (although it is pretty good) or the cup noodles this place has some good eats. Don't hate on me for this. If you like chewy ramen with a bite, the place is for you, if njot, you should still give it a try. This place also has a B rating, but in my honest opinion, it deserves better. If you are worried about sanitation, don't worry, it's very clean. I'll tell you what we had now.

Dad: Shoyu Ramen
Huss: Miso Ramen
Me: Yakiniku Ramen w/ Fried Shrimp

To me, Umemura serves an OK shoyu ramen (shoyu is soy sauce). It's too salty for my tastes, but it has a unique flavor, which I'm sure some of you might like. Now, we get to the good part, the Miso Ramen. Their Miso Ramen is heavenly (no offense). Whereas restaurants usually use red or other misos, they use white miso. They infuse the miso broth with pork flavor, so it has a nice, rich and scrumptious flavor. Yakiniku Ramen, in their version, is Miso Ramen with BBQ pork in it. This is also good. The fried shrimp was ehh, not bad, not really good either. When you come here, be prepared for copious amounts of noodle goodness. Don't come if you're a light eater or on a diet. I don't recommend getting an extra portion of noodles, you'll have an extremely hard time finishing it. This place is also very authentic, whith Japanese waitresses. The restaurant is mainly filled with Asian people. The ambience is not romantic at all, and the decor is not the most attractive thing I've ever seen, but to me, the food is worth it.

I give Umemura a 4.5-4.6 out of 5 for food.
I give Umemura a 2.3 out of 5 on ambience.

P.S. Try the fried rice. It's really good.

Address:
1724 W Redondo Beach Blvd
Gardena, CA 90247
Tel:
(310)-217-0970

Yelp:

No comments:

Post a Comment