Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review #1!: Pacific Fish Center

Hi! It's Stephen. So, tonight, I went to the Redondo Beach Pier/Fisherman's Wharf in California. It is awesome. The smell of the sea is in the air...ok, I gotta stop remembering. So yeah, anyways, the restaurants name is Pacific Fish Center. The place is heuuuuge! It was probably like 1000 or more square feet. I suck a measuring, so yeah. =( The place is actually Korean, to tell you the truth. My BFF told mah mom about this place, and she came here with her friend once....or twice. She liked it. We went there to give my mom's BFF from China's son, Chris, a sightseeing tour. Life in Redondo Beach is pretty relaxed. This place was on our plan. My mom is forgetful, so she forgot which one it is, since there's actually two korean crab restaurants(strange, huh?). I'll get to teh other one later. When you walk in, you're greeted by a nice cashier who immediately helps you out. That's a plus. The other staff were ok.. So, onto what we ordered. My mom orders wayyy too much food. So, for four people, we got:

-Korean Spicy Fish Soup- Mild(cause mah mom can't tolerate spicy, which sucks cause I love spicy)
Prices:
Small:$20.99
Large:$25.99
-Live Dungeness Crab
Prices:
Seasonal
We paid about $44.
-Baby Octopus with Sauces
Prices:
$8.99 Per lb.
-Live Lobster
Prices:
Seasonal
We paid about $42.

Overview:
This place is reasonably priced for what it is, by the pier and all.. The lobster, crab, and soup were huge. The baby octopus was a reasonable price. It's pretty good. The soup is sooooo good. the crab is fresh(get the live one). The lobster was good too(same with crab).

I tried dungeness crab liver for the first time, and I thought it was going to be fishy. But, I was wrong, it was pretty good, but it is sorta bitter, more bitter than you'd expect. Not fishy at all. They also sell a sea squirt and sea cucmber plate for $14.99. I wanted to try it, but maybe next time. I heard sea squirt has like a strong taste of the sea, like Andrew Zimmern puts it as a "fish's ass dipped in iodine." Sea cucumber is good, but very gelatinous. I'm not going to put up the prices for other things as of now. They frickin serve everything with melted butter on the side, catering to Americans, but they do something really weird. They also serve everything with Bi Bim Bap sauce on the side, you know, they spicy red stuff. It's good on baby octopus though. They give you a bib, and you'll need a LOT of napkins. It gets messy. =P Also, it comes with a mallet, to crack the shell. There is also a bike path, from Redondo to Santa Monica 23 miles one way, if you're interested. The soup had daikon, shrimp, fish, button mushrooms, onions, and tofu in it. As I mentioned earlier, there is another Korean crab restaurant like 100 feet away from PCC(pacific crab center), that my BFF says is not as good. Maybe I'll have to do a review of that place one day. It could be the next Food War(Travel Channel Show Reference). IDK. We'll have to wait and see...

Pacific Fish Center
Redondo Beach
131 Fisherman's Wharf
Redondo Beach, CA
90277
Tel: (310)-374-8420

Sorry, no pics this time, as they are on my phone, I need to figure out how to upload them. Leave a comment if you know.

All in all, I give this place a 3.8-4.0 out of 5.

Kthxbai

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a tech-genius, so I've no idea how you would upload pics (isn't there a function in your blog's main page?)... Also, I'm deathly afraid of sea creatures, so I have to say that I cringed while reading this. I have some terrible childhood memories of this particular restaurant, to be honest.... :(

    ReplyDelete